Packer is seeking an energetic, highly-qualified Debate Coach & Program Coordinator to help grow the school’s thriving debate program. In particular, we are seeking individuals who have experience coaching Congressional Debate, Public Forum Debate, and Parliamentary Debate at the high school level.
- Coach and oversee the logistics of the Debate Team for students in grades 9–12
- Determine a season calendar that ensure competition opportunities across all debate formats
- Conduct regular after-school debate practices for each format and prepare students for competition
- Maintain a robust novice program to develop foundational concepts and skills
- Process student sign-ups, register tournament entries, submit required forms, and pay registration fees
- Attend all weekend tournaments and provide real-time coaching and feedback during competition
- Accompany the team to overnight travel tournaments and coordinate transportation, meals, and lodging
- Serve as the point of contact for tournament officials before, during, and after competition
- Hire qualified personnel to fulfill judging obligations, collect tax forms, and coordinate logistics
- Manage the team budget, including submitting reimbursement and payment forms in a timely manner
- Cultivate positive working relationships with administrators, parents/guardians, and students
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities;
- Report all student injuries, accidents, and illnesses as soon as possible;
- Participate in and maintain order during periodic fire safety drills;
- Provide additional support as needed.
- Facilitate the best possible experience and support the personal goals of each student
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 2 years of competition experience in high-school and/or college debate (preferred)
- Availability to work evenings and weekends, including occasional overnights
- Excellent verbal, written, organization, and management skills
- Familiarity with local and regional norms, as well as circuit debate
- Expert knowledge and ability to coach all debate formats (CON, CX, LD, PAR, PF, WS)
- Basic knowledge of limited-prep and platform events (DEC, EXT, IMP, INF, OO) - interpretation events are a plus
- Patience, enthusiasm, and versatility working with students of all skill levels
- Good standing in the debate community, including with tournament directors and other stakeholders
Packer is deeply committed to diversity and an inclusive curriculum and community. We actively encourage applications from candidates with broad and diverse backgrounds and from individuals of all races, nationalities, and beliefs. We seek individuals that model cultural competence by recognizing one's own biases, actively analyzing one’s own internal belief systems, and being an effective and respectful communicator.
Please submit your application to Tory Lacy (Packer’s Director of Auxiliary Programs) at email@example.com.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $16,000-20,000 per school year (for approximately 400 hours between September 15 and June 15)