The PK-12 Department Head for Physical Education is responsible for providing leadership and direction that supports school-wide and department goals, effective teaching of physical education and professional growth by encouraging faculty to examine pedagogy through both study and practice. The department head shares responsibility for the design, organization, support and evaluation of the curriculum and the physical resources necessary to implement it.
The ideal candidate should have a minimum of 5-10 years of teaching experience, preferably at multiple school levels and hold an advanced degree, ideally in physical education education and/or school leadership. The candidate should have deep emotional intelligence and a passion for sharing best practice pedagogy in the field.The candidate thrives when working collaboratively, has innovative ideas, integrates learning and is skilled at working with students, faculty and families. The department head has reduced teaching responsibilities and a generous stipend, in order to fulfill the administrative responsibilities.
Packer is deeply committed to diversity and to fostering an inclusive curriculum and community. We actively encourage applications from candidates with broad and diverse backgrounds and from individuals of all races, nationalities, and beliefs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead 7-person department in advancing the school’s mission and departmental goals
- Collaborate closely with other administrators on hiring, retention, evaluation, and professional growth of physical education teaching faculty
- Collaborate closely with other administrators and the school’s registrar to develop a cohesive physical education schedule across the school
- Ensure cohesion and continuity of physical education curriculum paying close attention to students’ social-emotional needs in grades PK-12
- Models cultural competence by recognizing one's own biases, actively analyzing one’s own internal belief systems and being an effective and respectful communicator
- Organize department meetings structured around departmental and divisional goals
- Serve on Department Heads group, responsible for broad curricular and instructional initiatives
- Serve on Academic Council, responsible for school-wide programmatic planning
- Manage departmental budget and make decisions regarding equipment, training and other program-driven materials
- Communicate with parents and the wider community about the physical education department’s philosophy, vision, offerings, measures of success, challenges, etc.
- Collaborates with the Health & Wellness team as well as Athletics
Department - Academic - Leadership
Location - Brooklyn, NY
Yearly salary - 70,000 - 155,000
Employment type - Full-time
Please click here to apply.