The Department Head for Mathematics is responsible for providing leadership and direction that supports school wide and department goals, effective teaching of mathematics and professional growth by encouraging faculty to examine pedagogy through both study and practice. The department head shares responsibility for the design, organization, support and evaluation of the curriculum and the physical and material resources necessary to implement it.
The department head should have 5-10 years of teaching experience, preferably at both the upper and middle school level and hold an advanced degree, ideally in administrative leadership or supervision. The department head has reduced teaching responsibilities and a generous stipend, in order to fulfill his/her administrative responsibilities. Please send cover letter and resume to hr@Packer.edu with "Job Posting 72001" in the subject line.
Packer is deeply committed to diversity and to fostering an inclusive curriculum and community. We actively encourage applications from candidates with broad and diverse backgrounds and from individuals of all races, nationalities, and beliefs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead 15-person department in advancing the school’s mission and departmental goals
- Collaborate closely with other administrators on hiring, retention, evaluation, and professional growth of math teaching faculty
- Ensure cohesion, continuity, and rigor of mathematics curriculum in grades 5-12
- Organize department meetings structured around departmental and divisional goals
- Serve on Department Heads group, responsible for broad curricular and instructional initiatives
- Serve on Academic Council, responsible for schoolwide programmatic planning
- Manage departmental budget and make decisions regarding textbook, software and technology orders
- Communicate with parents and the wider community about the math department’s philosophy, vision, offerings, measures of success, challenges, etc. through regular parent coffees and written correspondence
- Design testing and placement for students entering Packer or seeking to accelerate in our program
- Collaborate closely with Packer’s K-5 Math Coordinator and Middle School Math Coordinator
- Oversee Math Lab and Math Support classes