Packer Collegiate Institute is seeking a Laboratory Manager to join its Science Department. The department consists of 14 full time faculty serving students in grades preK-12 with an advanced elective program in the upper grades that includes college level courses in physics, chemistry, and biology. The Laboratory Manager supervises and performs technical and administrative duties to support the safe and effective function of all laboratory-related activities in the department. This includes purchasing and maintaining laboratory stocks and equipment, managing lab safety programs to ensure compliance with regulations, overseeing expenditure of department funds, collaborating with faculty to refine and troubleshoot student labs and demos, and preparing solutions and other materials for use in student laboratories.
- Manages purchasing, organization, maintenance, and safe disposal of chemicals required for advanced K-12 science program in physics, chemistry, and biology; maintains detailed records; communicates directly with vendors; stays up-to-date on safety regulations and maintains required NYFD certification
- Manages department budget and related accounts pertaining to inventory, professional development, and department programing; serves as a liaison to the business office
- Oversees organization, maintenance, and repair of laboratory equipment and instrumentation
- Maintains up-to-date online inventory of chemicals, equipment, and supplies; restocks on an on-going basis
- In consultation with Science Department faculty, evaluates equipment and technologies that might be beneficial to the Department; stays current with new developments in technology, equipment, labs, and demos, and makes recommendations to faculty for possible applications
- Prepares set-up for student laboratories in advance, as requested by Department faculty, and puts equipment away when labs are complete; occasionally assists in lab instruction and supervision; collaborates with teachers to refine and troubleshoot labs and demos
- Maintains organized records of labs and demos for quick reference by teachers
- Meets with the Science Department Head on a regular basis to convey updates on the budget, inventory, equipment needs, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in a laboratory science; master’s degree preferred
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks effectively
- Understanding of safe handling, storage, and disposal of chemicals
- Laboratory research experience
- Budget management experience
- Familiarity with Vernier probeware and other technologies/instrumentation used in secondary school and university student laboratories
Packer’s comprehensive commitment to diversity requires of all faculty members active, thoughtful engagement in work around identity, equity, and inclusion. We actively encourage applications from candidates with broad and diverse backgrounds.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Job Posting 48013 - Lab Manager" in the email subject line. To be considered, materials submitted should be named: "Last name, First Name - Document Title."