FOOD SERVICE WORKER
The Packer Collegiate Institute is seeking responsible, energetic, flexible individuals to work in our food service program. This is a 10-month, mid-August to mid-June, full time hourly position that may require daily overtime and the possibility of weekend shifts as needed. Hours are generally 7am - 3pm.
Packer’s robust food service program serves breakfast and lunch to a community of approximately 1,400 students, faculty and staff every school day. Food service workers assist with everything from food preparation, kitchen sanitation, beverage preparation, customer service, inventory, and other tasks as needed. Food service workers are expected to have knowledge of food safety and sanitation, knife skills, station setup, and inventory management.
- Set up and break down work and serving stations; check temperatures on food and hot/cold bars.
- Operate cooking equipment including stove, convection oven, tilt skillet, range; dishwasher.
- Convey food and supplies from the kitchen, lower storerooms, and/or salad preparation area to the serving areas either by carrying or by utilizing carts.
- Follows prescribed procedures in setting up hot and cold food lines; chooses proper utensils and sets the steam line to appropriate temperature for menu items.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of hot and cold food, beverages, sauces/dressings, and other items as appropriate.
- Serve food items to customers from counters and/or steam tables, in accordance with specific instructions, ensuring that appropriate portions are served, and adds toppings and garnishes according to instructions.
- Replenish food, plastic & paper goods, condiments, and trays at serving stations.
- Attend to day-to-day issues as they arise.
- May clean, wash and maintain work areas, including floors, facilities, pots, pans, service ware, utensils, and equipment; collects and places garbage and trash in designated containers; as appropriate to the area of operation.
- May perform cashiering duties, as required.
- May provide guidance and training to other employees performing related work.
- Additional duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
- Preferably at least one year of experience in a food service environment, preferably in an institutional setting
- Ability to carry up to 50lbs
- Ability to stand for up to 8 hours
- Ability to understand and follow kitchen and food safety procedures.
- Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Knowledge of foodservice lines set-up and food safety.
- Skill in cooking and preparing a variety of foods.
- Knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques, and quality standards.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination
- Fluency in English
- Ability to pass criminal background check and child abuse clearances
- Authorization to work in the United States
- NYC Food Handlers license
Packer's comprehensive commitment to diversity and equity requires all faculty members to actively and thoughtfully engage in work around identity, anti-racism, and inclusion. We actively encourage applications from candidates with broad and diverse backgrounds and from individuals of all races, nationalities, and beliefs.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Job Listing 93001" in the subject line of the email. To be considered, materials submitted should be tiled: "Last name First name - Document Title." $15.00-$20.00 per hour.
Packer has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires all faculty and staff to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination.